Search by category:
Choosing Prenatal Vitamins
If you are pregnant or planning on becoming pregnant you are already aware that apparently you are required to take vitamins daily to support a healthy pregnancy. If you type prenatal vitamins into amazon you will get HUNDREDS of options. It’s endless and exhausting. Let us help you out a bit.
What to know about Prenatal Vitamins:
- Iron can be constipating
- If you can’t stomach vitamins you can focus on eating low mercury cooked fish, spinach, lentils and overall a diet based on fruits and vegetables.
- Most American diets cannot fully supplement both the pregnant parent and the developing fetus with the adequate nutrition they both need. That being said, if you didn’t know you were pregnant, couldn’t afford or stomach prenatals or just didn’t realize they were important, don’t stress!
- Do what you can, when you can. Most babies are born perfectly healthy either way. It doesn’t matter so much when you take it. [Just take it when you can]
- It’s never too early to start taking it! If you know you want to get pregnant in a year it can’t hurt to get your body primed for that little embryo to come.
What to look for in Prenatal Vitamins:
- Methylated Folate. Not everyone’s body can turn folic acid into a usable form! Methylated folate guarantees your baby is getting what they need. Ingredients you can’t figure out what they are. Preservatives, flavorings, weird sugars- all unnecessary.
- Keep it simple.
Our Picks for Prenatal Vitamins:
Here are a few vitamins that we find tried and true
Best vitamin hands-down: Organic, made from food, by a brand that we trust. Mega Food The 2 version has no herbs, which some pregnant people prefer.
Best chewable vitamin: Whatever incentivises you to take your vitamins is fine with us. Sometimes pills are difficult to swallow! Seeking Health
Best liquid vitamin: Sometimes pregnant people are not able to stomach pills OR chewable. A little liquid vitamin in some juice can go a long way. Mary Ruth